Sunday, March 15, 2009

My Testimony: From A Religion To A Relationship, Part 2

The next two weeks, were crucial for me. I poured myself into the Book of Mormon; the first time I had read it. I think my mom once kindly recieved one and then promptly through it in the trash. Anyway, it reads like much of the Old Testament. It tells the story of a "lost tribe" of Israel as it is miraculously transported to the New World centuries before Jesus. And the Messiah after His resurrection visits them with the message of the Gospel. It is a fantastic story with heroes and villains and themes that appear biblical.

I read with fascination and an open mind. Upon finishing it I had some thoughts. If all this were true, then there would have to be at least some evidence of a Tribe of Israelites running around with the Native Americans. I had some serious doubts about this.

Next I proceeded to read the Gospels. I had not done this before either, but was much more familiar with the Bible. I was most intrigued by the spoken words of Jesus; His Parables, the accounts of His dealings with sinners of all stripes, and the accounts of His last hours and the Crucifixion.

But most of all, whenever He spoke, it just went straight into my heart. It spoke to my very soul.

I realized then and there that I would no longer have just religion, I wanted a relationship with this Jesus.

The question was, which belief-system: the Latter Day Saints (Mormon), or Evangelical Protestant (Christian)? I think I deep-down really knew the answer. So I (for the first time) felt compelled to get down on my knees and pray to the Lord God which way was the true way? Mormon or Christian?

I asked the question in prayer and felt distinctly in my heart and mind (not audibly) that Mormonism was NOT the TRUE way. It was not the true church of Jesus Christ. I asked what was true and was assured that the Christian Church was true I was to follow Him there.

It was then and there that I committed myself to the Lord Jesus Christ and to His work, His kingdom. I became born-again into the church, the family of God that day in August 1994.

No comments:

Post a Comment