Sunday, March 15, 2009

My Testimony: From A Religion To A Relationship, Part 1

I was living in Charlotte,NC, the summer of 1994, newly on my own and working nights at a hotel, sleeping during the day. I new deep down I was missing something in life, but didn't know what.

One day, some Mormon missionaries came by my house and knocked on my door. You know, the clean-cut young males often seen on bicycles wearing black pants and ties, and a white shirt. They go door-to-door spreading the message of the Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints Mormon Church.

So, I allow them in, let them do their thing. I guess I had nothing better to do. I must admit they asked some interesting questions, and I answered the best I could.

See, I had gone to Vacation Bible School as a child. I knew John 3:16 and other verses by memory. I had a fair understanding of Jesus and His teachings. They proceeded to explain a different gospel than I was familiar with. And someone who did not have Bible knowledge, nor the indwelling Holy Spirit, would be at a loss to counter their claims. I admitted to them that I did not know what was true or what was a fable. They left me with an assignment: I was to read both the Book of Mormon and the Four Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke and John), then pray and ask God which way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment